Your support for Tackle Kids Cancer helps make these current programs possible.
Treatment of Recurrent Brain and Solid Tumors
- The Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital is the primary site participating in a phase I study using 2-hydroxyoleic acid with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- This drug has been tested in Europe in adults with highly aggressive brain tumors and the results were very impressive.
- Since this drug is a fatty acid, similar to olive oil, it has very few side effects and is well tolerated in adult patients.
- This will be the first time this drug will be used in the United States and with children.
- No proven therapy currently exists for pediatric cancer patients; this study is very promising.
New Jersey Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Board
- Derek Hanson’s “New Jersey Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Board” will utilize a state-of-the art conferencing system to enable participating physicians from all pediatric oncology centers across New Jersey to present their cases.
- A panel of experts will review cases.
- These case studies will help to identify patients who can qualify for clinical trials.
- Ultimately, the goal of the brain tumor board is to improve the overall quality of care for pediatric brain tumor patients across the state.